Friday, April 17, 2015

Up-cycle: T-shirt Totes, Wydaho, & Cow Bells

Over Spring Break we went to ski for a couple days at Grand Targhee Ski Resort, near Driggs, Idaho but in Alta, Wyoming, right at the back of the awe-inspiring Grand Tetons.  It turns out they call it "Wydaho" because even though it is in Wyoming, the only way to get to it is through Idaho.  Ironic and clever.  I liked it at once.


One evening we ventured into town for my brother-in-law's birthday party at the pizza restaurant in Driggs.  After dinner we needed to get a couple things from the store, so the gals rode back with grandma and Mr. and I found ourselves alone on a hot date at Broulims, Driggs' grocery store.  As we parked and walked in, we were approached by a 20-something girl who was handing out these up-cycled t-shirt tote bags.  Some people ahead of us said no, but I'm never one to pass up free stuff, and I'm always curious about clever handmade things.  She was super nice and smiling and when I asked her if handing out bags had a larger purpose, she glibly responded that no, she was just helping the environment.  I chose a larger one, we used it as cart and bag, and we headed out.  Out loud I mused about the reasons behind a 20-something being outside a remote grocery store, handing out bags she had taken the time to make without any larger purpose than to make sure the 7 shoppers that night didn't use plastic.  To which Mr. responded "everyone needs a cause".  So true.

I vowed that I was going to make some as soon as I got home.  We have many stained and unwearable tees in our possession, and this is a fantastic idea of what to do with them.  Here's how:

Start with a tee-shirt, any size, any pattern.  This is a men's XL.


Cut off the arms, 1 inch in from the shoulder seams, and cut the neck into a big scoop. 


Serge or sew the bottom shut.  For real, it's that easy.  

You have now made your very own Wydaho Tote.


Because, well...just because...I decided to line mine.  It was a tad flimsy, which normally would be fine.  Groceries surely don't care and it's a huge step up from the rip-prone plastic bags you may usually take home with you.  So I found another men's XL in white and repeated the three cuts and one seam.


And now I have two Wydaho Totes.


Now it's a simple matter of matching right sides and all openings, and sewing them together.


I chose to leave the serging on the outside, and while you might judge this as looking unfinished, I've got the original Wydaho Tote and this is waaaayyy better already.


This is my finished tote.  It's tie-dyed no less, which just adds panache by the gallon.  You could make these from any size tee, creating small totes, scripture bags, library bags, gym bags, and the list of possibilities goes on and on.  This would also be a super project if you have a kid that's interested in sewing.  One seam for the beginner.  Four seams for the more advanced.

I've filled mine with my cow bells.  Why, you ask?  Today is the first track meet of the season, I've got TWO girls running events, and I love-love-love cheering them on!  
If you want to sit by me but don't know where I'll be, don't worry.

You'll be able to find me.


Save the planet, be cleverer than a Wydahoan, up-cycle something, and CHEER for your kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment