Friday, February 27, 2015

My History of Sewing

I only share this with you because I think you can handle it.  And because you went through the '80s too.

My mom was a fantastic seamstress.  Her seam allowances were even, her buttons exact, her hems perfection.

When I was 10 she taught me to sew: pick a pattern and follow the guide; let me know if you have any questions.

So I picked my pattern and fabric.  This was the result:



I know, right?

This was the beginning of my love of sewing clothing.  I don't enjoy making items for my home much.  But I do love clothes and costumes.

I appreciate her "baptism by fire" method because it taught me to follow instructions, and to learn all the details of a pattern guide.


I appreciate my mom so much for opening the world of creation to me. She made so many things for me & my sister over the years, from swimsuits to formals.  She is truly amazing. 

And yes, I cut out patterns on the floor or any other impractical and uncomfortable surface I can find.  
We can't all have a dedicated sewing room.

Happy sewing!

3 comments:

  1. .....and now you are sewing for me! I LOVE the skirts you made me and get compliments on them all the time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another impractical surface..the pool table. That felt top didn't stay in good condition long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe how much Gia looks like you in the top picture!! Super cute. You truly are an amazing seamstress. Love the blog btw.

    ReplyDelete