Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Half Marathon Training Plan

I've made a commitment, which is usually the only way things get accomplished for normal people, like me.  I've always had a goal to run a marathon, mainly in conjunction with a full Ironman 140.6, which is 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike, and a 26.2 mile run.  Sounds fun, yes? Did I mention I wanted to complete it the year I turn 40?  That'd be next year.

With my lofty goals in sight I decided to bite the bullet and sign up for a marathon.  I chose the Huntsville Marathon, on September 26, 2015.  I liked the idea of training over the summer, keeping me accountable, and helping me beat the summer blahs.



Huntsville is quickly becoming very popular because of its downhill terrain, time of year, and beautiful scenery.  As I filled out the entry form, sanity happened, which it doesn't very often, and I entered the half marathon: 13.1 miles.  The only running race I've ever entered previously was a whopping 5k (3 miles).  So this progression made more sense.

I was immediately overcome by panic, and then turned panic into focus.  The only way to accomplish goals is to have a plan.  When I rode the 100 mile Little Red, I had a very specific training plan, and by following it, I beat my own time estimate by 2 mph, and it was pure fun to ride.

Unlike biking, running pesters me with pain and injury.  I have plantar fasciitis in both feet and IT band pain in my left leg.  I feel sluggish, slow, and crippled.  This makes having a plan even more critical.  I started looking up half marathon training programs, of which there are millions available thanks to the internet.  But I was looking for a very specific kind: low mileage, 3 days per week, with varied focus.  This is what I found:

Runner's World FIRST Half Marathon Training Plan.  Not FIRST as in 1st, but as in "Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training".  It is 10 weeks which is the right amount of time to stay focused but not get bored.  Here's what it looks like:

THE PLAN
WeekTuesdayWednesdaySat/Sun
14x4003-mile tempo6-mile long run
24x8004-mile tempo8-mile long run
33x16005-mile tempo10-mile long run
46x4006-mile tempo6-mile long run
53x16004-mile tempo10-mile long run
64x8008-mile tempo8-mile long run
76x4006-mile tempo10-mile long run
84x16008-mile tempo12-mile long run
93x8003-mile tempo6-mile long run
104x4002-mile tempoHalf Marathon

Monday: Speed Work.  Head to the track and do the prescribed 400m, 800m, or 1600m repeats at a super fast pace, based on your projected race pace.  Details and pace calculations are in the link.  I have really enjoyed these workouts.  Think HIITs for running.  Sometimes we get stuck at our comfort pace and forget that in order to increase fitness we must push.  Hard.  The focus is not on mileage this day.  But this week I did 800m's with a warm up and cool down and it ended up being 5.2 miles.

Wednesday:  Tempo Run.  This is a short mileage run above your comfort level.  This trains you to run faster and mentally capable of handling the discomfort, which is what you will be doing if you race your event.  Again, the link has pace calculations for how fast this tempo run should be.  It's not super fast, but only 15 seconds slower than your planned pace.  Very doable.

Friday: Long Run.  This is a slower run than your planned pace, adding 30 seconds per mile.  It should feel comfortable, and builds your mileage so that you are sure you will be able to finish 13.1 miles on event day.

Take a rest day.  ONE.  I rest Sunday.  But cross train the other three days.  This will improve your overall fitness, give you muscle balance, and help you recover.

I do 20 minutes of yoga after every run, to keep loose.  I use the Yoga Studio app.  It's perfect.

I also roll my IT band and calves after every run.  I used to think I should roll right on my IT band which runs on the outside of your thigh from your hip to your knee, but I found this fabulous article and video from ASM Wellness, and it has made all the difference:


 

For cross training I have been swimming with my neighbor ladies, a sort of bob-and-talk, that is super light intensity, but warms and stretches and targets muscles in a very low-impact way.  I also ride a few hours a week.  I need to focus on core and arms more, so am going to add a day of focus for those muscle groups.

So far I have been in less pain, my IT band made it through 6 miles last week, and I feel like my running is improving, mechanically and cardiovascularly.  Taking care of your body and listening to the signs it is sending is vital to a successful event or training program.  Slow down if you feel pain.  See a physical therapist.  Get a massage.  Take your rest day seriously.

Nutrition is another key to feeling good.  Eat healthy & drink tons of water.  One of my goals during this 10 week training program (read: lifetime) is to cut out added sugar.  This is more difficult for me than getting up early and getting out the door, but I know it will make me feel drastically better, lighter, fitter, healthier, and happier.

It is very satisfying seeing improvement in yourself.  Making goals and a plan to accomplish them is how we see progress and change in life.  Taking things one step at a time is a great way to avoid discouragement, baby steps being key.  I'm so glad that I went for the half marathon instead of the full.  Successfully accomplishing the Huntsville Half Marathon will give me the running confidence I need to meet my next major athletic goal: a Half Ironman.

Wish me luck, keep moving, and get outside! 

No comments:

Post a Comment