Thursday, May 28, 2015

Gardening: Lawn & Flower Beds

The rain is KILLING me!  It's thrown off my GROOVE!  My plants are so late getting in the ground, I have very low hopes of seeing anything productive before July.  Sigh.

During a short break in the rain, we got my front flower bed planted.  It's been a sore spot for me since we moved in, full of creeping myrtle and really shallow.  It never did showcase any color or interest for the house.  Last spring I finally acted on what I knew needed to be done all along.  I cut out 18" inches of grass to pull the bed out deeper.  I pulled, dug, and killed all the myrtle and the other weedy perennials.  I covered it all with new nice dirt, re-positioned the large rocks that add texture, and transplanted three decorative grasses.  Voila!  I get my really great black mulch from the dump.  It's under $20 for a scoop, which fills up the back of a pick-up truck.  It's a lot of shoveling, but it's a great workout!


It turned out beautifully!  And best of all the myrtle has stayed dead!  I won!  I can't find the pic of the garden in full bloom, but I decided to do mostly annuals.  The perennials I planted were 2 creeping flox, three grasses, and one butterfly bush. 

The first thing I learned about annuals is to plant them much closer than the suggestion on the tag.  I just crammed them in there, all mixed up, but tallest in back and shortest in front.  Even after close planting I ended up squishing another flat in around the first of July.  I love when it's just bursting!

This is our planting session on Saturday.  The girls have really started to love gardening...to a point.  The last 10 minutes was a struggle.


I can already tell I'm going to need more plants.  One problem with all this rain is I have several drowned plants that will need to be replaced.  Last year some got scorched, but my zinnias are all in a two inch puddle.  Sad.



My FAVORITE thing from last year that I was sure to get this year are flowering cabbages.  They are amazing!  They add a huge interest factor, they are gigantic, and they are a cool green and purple color.  Everyone asked about them.  They really bulk up the look. 

Image result for flowering cabbage

I've also been collecting planters, and now have about 7 large ones, two of those being humongous!  They have been fun to also add flowers that are vibrant and spill over everywhere.  I'm still figuring out geraniums.  I don't love them as they seem to always be dead looking instead of colorful and they stink.  I have also really loved sweet potato vine.  The light green cascading leaves are gorgeous and look lush!  It comes in this reddish color which is pretty, but I really love the vibrant green spilling over the sides of my containers and off my porch.


The next front project is to get rid of the awkward pine tree by the door, which has stayed due to lack of commitment on my part.  What to put there instead?  Good question.  Any ideas?

I have three more main flower beds that need planted as well as my little garden spot.  There is major work to be done along the back edge of our yard including trimming lilac bushes that didn't even flower this year they're so neglected, major weed killing, and moving some huge clumps of gorgeous purple irises to spread the love.  Also prepping and setting up the swimming pool, if the weather cooperates.  So stay tuned!  It'll be a summer-long project!

No comments:

Post a Comment